Friday, February 22, 2008

Celebrity Worship



I think I've turned a corner when it comes to this cult of celebrity worship.

I went to an art gallery showing in Beverly Hills last night, but the gallery was actually a collection of celebrity photographs - dead celebrities, live celebrities, musicians, actresses, you name it. The price tags ranged from $1,000 to $15,000. It was all laid out as if this was a collection from Modern Museum of Art.

They had an open bar serving some new kind of vodka, "V2 Vodka", and the bartendress, looking all of 19, said, "This is really cool! This vodka has caffeine in it, so it's kinda like drinking a red bull with your liquor!"

"Red bull?" I asked her.

"Well, almost! Drink up!"

After two sips of this concoction, I determined to let David drive home.

I saw a photograph of Ann-Margret leaning backwards from the top floor balcony of a Las Vegas hotel in the 1960's (supposedly threatening to jump off), lots of signed album covers from The Beatles, Andy Warhol, a photo of John Lennon in Spain, Angelina Jolie, Catherine Zeta Jones, stills from an Andy Warhol short showing some guy shooting up and then passing out....

Invitees oogled and ahh'd, sipping their V2 Vodkas with grapefruit juice, eyeing everyone who walked in more than they actually looked at the photos. Everyone and everything seemed overly self-aware, poofy and self-conscious.

The gallery employees were talking up the photographs to anyone who would listen, doling out more drinks, trying to assess who in the room really had the big bucks. I'm guessing that might have been the grey-haired crinkly man in the leopard, floor-length fur. He looked liked a very rich dinosaur.

"It's all so fun," said the manager. I must be getting old.

I said to David, "You know what? I'm ready to leave. The 'ick' factor has kicked in. And I need some food in my stomach."

"I've always found this stuff icky," David agreed, and we left.

This whole business, this entire city, was built around the culture of celebrity worship. Something about standing in that gallery, surrounded on all sides by pandering people and the frozen-in-time faces of celebrities long gone made me claustrophobic. These faces were just people, after all, people who have been photographed millions of time, but people all the same.

And I don't find drugs, or mixing Red Bull with alcohol so interesting. I'm not getting on a pulpit here. There are just a thousand other ways I'd rather spend my time.

4 comments:

Southbaygirl said...

I'm surprised you didn't see my ex, Kirby, there since he THRIVES on hollywood, drinking , drugs and the worship of anyone famous, rich blah blah blah!!! That's all this town is now-drugs, money, drinking and who you know! Kinda makes me sick...that' s why I live where I live!!

But speaking of drinking and parties-what are we doing for the OSCARS!!!!

Southbaygirl said...

well did you run today? How was it? Are you watching the tennessee/Memphis basketball game? it's great!!!!

I ran my 9.3 miles and am now drinking wine!!!!

Laura Pursell said...

i'm writing it now!! hold on...

Amy said...

It sounds like the phoney boloney party was dull. I get a good laugh out of folks that think they are so important. I'm a trouble maker and like to stir the pot...I would would have asked some of the stiffs if they wanted to do the limbo and liven up the party! hee hee

Good for you doing the marathon! that is one thing I can't do is run. It hurts my...everything. You just inspired me to get off my tail end and go exercise...thanks girly!