Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Stoney Point

"Food so good, they built a bridge to us..."

I went to a really great off-the-beaten-path restaurant on Friday, a place called Stoney Point, in Old Town Pasadena. There was a lovely lady named Wendy Ryan playing piano, and she invited me up to sing. (I have a couple of weddings coming up, anyway...I figured I could use the practice!) There was no sound system, but the room was very small and the acoustics weren't bad. I started off with "Skylark", then as I started Cole Porter's "Just in Time", a wonderful trumpet player named Dave Welch walked up and started playing with us. He was wonderful! Wendy and Dave must play together quite a bit - they blended beautifully. And I think Wendy knows every tune in the American Songbook. I have some pretty far-out keys, and she managed to play in every one of them.
Anyway, 2 songs quickly turned into 2 sets. I never got to finish my dinner. But it was a really fun night.
There seem to be a group of regulars who go here often, and I highly recommend it. The food (what I was able to finish) was really great, and I definitely plan on returning.

2 comments:

mathteacher1729 said...

Live art is awesome.

Spontaneous live art is even better.

Spontaneous live art of which you are a part... that's the life. Daaang. Thanks for sharin'! (I found this site by clickin' the "next blog" link thing at the top of my homepage.)

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Like loving in dreams ... and waking for arms that aren't there.